[Arm-netbook] by "Resin" (versus "PLA"), is meant what? ABS?

chadvellacott at sasktel.net chadvellacott at sasktel.net
Tue Sep 13 00:21:52 BST 2016

    Considering which "PFY" lap-top housing to choose.

    On the page on "Crowd Supply", for the "PFY" lap-top housings, most of the options involved
"PLA", but one was rather "Resin".
    I imagine that by the former is meant "Polylactic acid"
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PLA_polymer>.
But that is listed under "Resin Identification Code" 7
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resin_identification_code#History>
so seems to itself be considered a kind of Resin.  [Rats, an ambiguity. (:^) ]

    So what is meant by "Resin", in the list of options?

    If the meaning is "ABS", then this comparison is relevant-
<http://www.absplastic.eu/pla-vs-abs-plastic-pros-cons/>

    Ideally, I'd like something which is-
  (a) sturdy enough to let a clumsy adult use, and sturdy enough to gift to a child (even if the
child is just starting to use a computer),
  (b) can be left in a hot car without deforming,
  (c) can be used in temperatures as cold as the parts can handle, without becoming brittle (any one
for computing outside in fresh air, in winter?),
  (d) durable enough to last as long as the parts,
  (e) transparent, so that I can see the inner parts through the housing,
  (f) made from renewable materials,
  (g) safer during the 3D-printing.

    But I suspect that the "PLA"-option does not meet A to D as well as the "Resin / Black" does.  I
guess that then my decision is not so easy.

    Hoping to pre-"order" soon,
    Chad.  (:^)