[Arm-netbook] "zombie" campaign

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Mon Sep 12 21:15:55 BST 2016

---

On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 7:40 PM,  <chadvellacott at sasktel.net> wrote:

> On 16.9.12 0:25, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>>
>> ---
>> crowd-funded eco-conscious hardware: https://www.crowdsupply.com/eoma68
>
> ~~~~~
>>
>> On ~, Sep 10, 2016 at 11:47 PM,  <chadvellacott at sasktel.net> wrote:
>
> ~~~~~
>>>
>>> On 16.9.9 20:41, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>
> ~~~~~

>>>     Would it work to just ship those items, from outside of the "US",
>>> like
>>> "MiniFree" or "Kano" seem to or seemed to?  At least for shipping TO
>>> addresses outside of the "US"?
>>

>>   we need to work out if it's cheaper to ship everything first to the
>> US and then outwards from there (because there's no customs duty, just
>> a one-off "fee" that pales into insignificance).  certainly, sea
>> freight (which is by volume) would be a lot lower than air freight
>> (which is by weight).
>>
>>   i've been trusting the amounts that both chris and joshua
>> independently use: they're both experienced at this.  me, i'm just
>> getting my head down into the PCBs etc. for now - logistics comes
>> later.
>>
>> l.
>>
> ~~~~~~
>    I have been aiming, to "pre-order" in the next few days.
>    But, how likely, do you think, shall you be able to FILL "pre-orders"?
>    If how you will respond to "pre-ordering" is "up in the air", then me
> "pre-ordering" now, might result in hassle for both of us, rather than be of
> benefit to both of us.

  right.  this is an open project: it's not like a "profit maximising
company" where they do their absolute best to hide absolutely
everything except the "positive marketing messages" such as "we're now
shipping!!!!  so you can trust us!!!! give us yer money!!!!"

 ordinarily, if an "employee" said "i don't know" it wouldn't matter,
would it?  you'd *never know* that he'd said "i don't know", or that
the manager who had been asked to find out had to go back the boss and
say "we don't know", would you?

 here's the thing: *everybudy* doesn't really "know" until it actually
happens.  you "don't know" if there's going to be an earthquake in
Taiwan which destroys the foundries (this happened a few years ago),
or some floods or a fire will destroy the DDR RAM factories (which
also happened a few years ago), or the factory where things are being
manufactured might have a fire (as happened with the NexDock - it
started in the factory next door and spread, destroying 50% of the
stock).

 to make judgements based on these kinds of things, where you *don't
know* if they're going to happen or not - is part and parcel of
life... *not* just this campaign.

 bottom line, it's up to you to decide.  just be aware that you're
getting an honest glimpse into a world you've never seen before, in
just the same way that the openpandora and openmoko operated a decade
ago.