[Arm-netbook] Some Pine64 Experiences (via Planet Debian)

mike.valk at gmail.com mike.valk at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 11:11:09 BST 2016

> On 10/11/16, Wookey <wookey at wookware.org> wrote:
> > On 2016-10-11 19:11 +0200, Paul Boddie wrote:
>
> > I don't really know about the pine people specifically, but having
> > recently met with a guy from Allwinner (who is paying Luke to educate
> > his engineers :-)
>
> correction / misunderstanding: he's not.
>
> > They have noticed the persistent bad press/poor reputation and have
> > understood that what geeks think does actually matter in the long
> > term, as does upstreaming.
>
> well, it's about to get a hell of a lot worse.  i flew 20,000 miles
> round the world, was invited here to speak with their engineers, help
> them out, set up a FusionForge for them, make it possible for them to
> present the R-Series processors to open hardware and software libre
> people across the world, even present the idea of using RISC-V and
> Nyuzi 3D for a future processor...
>
> ... and i learn the day after that from being on their premises for
> only five hours i've been accused of being here to commit industrial
> espionage, to steal their proprietary source code.

I bet you wished you met them on neutral ground. Someone there is got very
antsy with your arrival on their turf.

Like Frank Herbert wrote "Show me a completely smooth operation and I'll
show you someone who's covering mistakes. Real boats rock."

An you just got bitten by the one covering mistakes.

> now, from 20 years experience i know that i cannot work with engineers
> who do not welcome what i have to say or contribute.  in this case i
> cannot even be in the building because there is the opportunity that
> if someone else *does* actually commit industrial espionage, they
> might accuse *me* - and the person who invited me into the building -
> of being the one that stole the code.
>
> this from the company that's been stealing software libre source and
> profiting with complete disregard or respect for the people whose work
> they critically rely on.
>
> i'm really upset.
>
> i'll be leaving zhuhai either today or tomorrow.
>
> if they apologise i'll come back.

I hope they do but I doubt they will (be able to). Luckily the A20 is
available on the open market. But I guess some suppliers will be steered.

Good luck. And don't forget to breathe.