[Arm-netbook] OT: The U.S. Needs to Stop Lecturing the Rest of the World About Internet Values

Eric Duhamel ericxdu23 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 09:26:22 GMT 2016

On November 27, 2016 6:12:03 PM PST, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net> wrote:
>---
>crowd-funded eco-conscious hardware: https://www.crowdsupply.com/eoma68
>

>On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 1:46 AM, Jonathan Frederickson
><silverskullpsu at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Of course this could all be the result of complex plots within the US
>> government and foreign governments, but I tend to believe that it's
>> more just a lack of exposure to different cultural values.
>
> very much so, i feel.  in essence: no one size fits all, and now we
>see even emerging countries are beginning to wake up to the massive
>over-reach and destruction of sovereignty that the U.S. has been
>undertaking for decades.  the key point of the fascinating and rather
>long article [1] is that various small countries are viewing U.S.
>diplomatic and political efforts finally for what it is: extremist
>imperialist domination.  unfortunately they're not the only country
>that's historically manipulated entire [small] countries, but the
>point is we kiiinda expect it to *be* history... not still happening
>*right now*.

I'm finding this perspective quite enlightening. From inside the US, although a lot of us know we are propagandized and foreign policy is full of ulterior motives, it's not often one considers the opposite view as a citizen of another country.

> now, i'm not one for just "complaining": there's enough of that crap
>going on already.  i very much like to also suggest actual solutions,
>and in this instance there happens to be a perfect fit: look up
>someone called "robert david steele".  there's an extremely good
>article about him in 2014 by the guardian [2].  he started the "open
>source intelligence" movement.  a quote:
>
>Today’s capitalism, he argues, is inherently predatory and destructive:
>
>“Over the course of the last centuries, the commons was fenced, and
>everything from agriculture to water was commoditised without regard
>to the true cost in non-renewable resources. Human beings, who had
>spent centuries evolving away from slavery, were re-commoditised by
>the Industrial Era.”
>
>huh.  how about that.  someone else who recognises that "employment"
>is nothing more than a rebadged, re-introduced form of slavery.  don't
>believe me?  if you're a software engineer actually READ your
>employment contract.  paying particular attention to the intelligence
>enslavement clauses.  the ones that say that your employer owns
>absolutely everything that you do, think and say.  if it wasn't
>enslavement, you would be REWARDED in direct proportion to the value
>of the work that you provide.  you don't: you get paid a quotes fair
>wage quotes.  fuck off if you actually want *shock horror* shares in
>the company!

There's a zen-slap for me. I'm a wage-slave and so is nearly everyone around me.

--
Eric Duhamel
http://www.noxbanners.net/