[Arm-netbook] OT: The U.S. Needs to Stop Lecturing the Rest of the World About Internet Values

FaTony fatony at fatony.net
Mon Nov 28 03:51:00 GMT 2016

> Furthermore,
> much of the Chinese and Russian political class believe the West’s
> insistence on democracy and human rights is not merely distasteful and
> unnecessary, but a concerted way to weaken and destabilize them.

Here's a view from inside of Russia. Russian TV is full of anti-west
propaganda. Every day I hear ppl discussing how some bad stuff is
happening in US, Europe or Ukraine and how Russian patriotism and
Orthodox Church are the foundation upon which you should live.

But it is forbidden to talk about Russian issues. Anyone who dares gets
sued, arrested, tortured or killed. Russian authorities use a blacklist
of sites and do DPI to make sure that nobody will find a way to
opposition sites that bring up Russian issues. They also have the legal
capacity to store all internet traffic for 6 months.

Nowadays, about 90% of my traffic goes through Tor or VPN because
there's simply no other way to get information.

But most people don't care about these issues, they are simply trying to
survive and not die of starvation. There is no hope in fixing this from
the inside, Russia as a country has no future. NATO should invade and
grab all the western territories while China will surely grab Siberia.