[Arm-netbook] laptop casework, jz4775 cpu card, fosdem 2016

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Fri Jan 15 14:23:16 GMT 2016

---

On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 2:02 PM, Paul Boddie <paul at boddie.org.uk> wrote:
> On Friday 15. January 2016 14.26.41 Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>>
>> naturally it took a whole lot of shouting at digikey to get them to do
>> a full audit of the stock of ACT8600-QJ601-T PMICs, but i've placed an
>> order for replacements - to be sent directly to me - and will be
>> putting those on when they arrive.  also, only 1 out of the 6 PCBs
>> happened to _not_ have solder-bridges under the DDR3 RAM ICs, so i've
>> ordered some replacement DDR3 RAM and will be having a go at putting
>> on 78-pin BGAs with the IRDA solder station.  it'll be fun to try.
>> ok.... correction: it'll be fun to succeed.
>
> So, was it Digikey that mixed up the parts or the factory that put the wrong
> IC on the board?

 digikey.  they just sent - a second time - the exact same wrong part,
after i specifically advised them on the process by which they could
verify what the part was.

> As for the RAM, I guess that it made for the "bring up" process, as described
> in that bare-metal Ingenic work, to be slightly more exciting than it should
> have been.

  yyyyeah.... but luckily there's debug information printed in the
u-boot SPL section that allowed a diagnosis.

> When you're probably only somewhat confident that the code will do
> the trick, I guess it's frustrating to have defective hardware involved as
> well.

 it's why the "reduce it to one and only one change" is so absolutely critical.

> Anyway, good luck with the printing and soldering!

 thanks... :)