[Arm-netbook] Keyboard

sampablokuper at posteo.net sampablokuper at posteo.net
Sun Aug 28 21:23:39 BST 2016

On 27.08.2016 23:09, Vincent Legoll wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 27, 2016 at 9:29 PM, Alexander .S.T. Ross
> <maillist_arm-netbook at aross.me> wrote:
>> some thinkpads at one point had a led light that pointed down and lite
>> up the keyboard without shining in the users eyes i think. it was in
>> the
>> top bezel of the screen. maybe that would be a simpler mod.
>
> Yep, that's the one (thinkpad T42p) it was located just next to the
> webcam,
> over the display, angled towards the keyboard, with a slight overhang
> from
> the case, so that the led was not directly visible. It was switchable
> with a
> key Fn combo. Just ON/OFF, no real need for light levels.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_ThinkPad_ThinkLight

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkLight

http://blog.lenovo.com/en/blog/keyboard-illumination-thinklight-or-backlight

https://web.archive.org/web/20130307081645/http://blog.lenovo.com/design/shedding-light-on-innovation

One of the key (ba-da-ching) ergonomic features of the Thinklight is
that the keyboard combo to switch them on or off is always bottom-left
key + top-right key. That way, you don't need to be able to see the keys
in order to switch the light on: you can still be sure, just by touch,
of being able to activate the correct ones. At the times when I've used
Thinkpads, I've appreciated this.

I don't know if any aspect of the Thinklight concept or its
implementation is patented or covered by design rights, etc. I would
hope not - it's just a light with a switch! - but "Method of swinging on
a swing", and all that...