[Arm-netbook] Handheld Games Console

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Mon Sep 21 20:49:59 BST 2015

On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 6:03 PM, GaCuest <gacuest at gmail.com> wrote:
> En 21 de septiembre de 2015 en 18:17:15, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton (lkcl at lkcl.net) escrito:
>> On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 4:56 PM, GaCuest wrote:
>> > I have updated it: http://rhombus-tech.net/community_ideas/games_console/news/
>> >
>> > I hope that I have done it well. Thanks!
>>
>> yeah that looks fantastic.
>>
>> hmmmm, i have an idea for you. how about moving the EC onto the
>> buttons PCB? that way you only need an absolute minimum of
>> connections to it. USB, power, GND... maybe BOOT and RESET errr...
>> that's all you'd really need.
>>
>> that would be 6 wires, and i'm sure you could find some suitable
>> spring-loaded connector for that. maybe even a SIM card holder (one
>> without the "holder" bit - just the bare spring-loaded bits. as you'd
>> be talking USB 1.0 or USB 1.1 that would hardly tickle any EMF.
>>

> If we put the STM32F in the second (or third) PCB, we need to connect the second with the third PCB (the same problem).

 ?  why?  rright right yes, got it.  ok, so yes, put STM32F on 2nd (or
3rd) PCB, link 2nd to 3rd with FFC-20P, then you only have one
FFC-20P, not two, the other is replaced with a simple 4 pin (or
possibly 6 pin) cable / blah blah whatever.

> Other problem is that we lost the USB ST-Link connection for FFC developers conector.
>
> What do you think?

 ideas occur to me...

 (1) if someone wants to develop an alternative embedded controller
PCB, if there's already one on the main PCB they are discouraged from
adding another.  it occupies the USB port... you can't really take
that over unless you want to replace PCB1.

 (2) if someone wants to develop an alternative joypad controller
PCB... say... out of discrete ICs, they are again discouraged from
doing so because there's an STM32F on the main PCB, esp. as it
occupies an entire USB port.

 (3) if the STM32F is on the joypad controller PCB, and it's pretty
much "USB", you could actually consider making a *separate* joypad
*product* out of it, sold for other markets.... *including* offering
one for sale as a 2nd controller to be wired directly into the USB
port of the games console.

 (4) i don't see any problem with doing product development (of the
joypad controller) by taking PCB2 and PCB3, testing them *entirely
separately* as a stand-alone unit.

 (5) i don't see any problem with doing product development (of the
games console) by taking out PCB2 and PCB3, and connecting
"alternative products" directly into the USB port provided for
(normally) joypad control.