[Arm-netbook] The Unplanned Obsolescence of the First Fairphone Device « Paul Boddie's Free Software-related blog

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Mon Jan 12 02:26:10 GMT 2015

On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 1:00 AM, Alexander Stephen Thomas Ross
<maillist_arm-netbook at aross.me> wrote:

> I think "fair"phone deserve a slap,nuge,etc. I've been most frustrated
> with them and completely disappointed in them. while I thank them for
> making the sources of the minerals not (so?) evil. there thinking,policy
> about software has been bs :(. it still status quo of a new hole product
> each year or 2 to replace what could be a perfectly good working one if
> it wasn't for the software.

 and that lack of upgradeability, being precisely what makes it
obsolete and thus a *burden* on the environment rather than a gain, is
*exactly* why they are happy to listen, now.

 they didn't think this through properly because it really is more
complex than they suspected.