[Arm-netbook] Improv And Operation:Marketing for EMOA-*

mike.valk at gmail.com mike.valk at gmail.com
Mon May 26 15:04:44 BST 2014

> On Mon, May 26, 2014 at 2:38 PM, mike.valk at gmail.com
> <mike.valk at gmail.com> wrote:

> > <snip>
> >

> >>  btw, joe... you'll like this i am sure, but it is a bit of a risk.
> >>
> >>  the inclusion of SATA on EOMA68, it is cutting us off from a ton of
> >> CPUs that are coming out for the tablet,tablet,tablet,tablet market -
> >> the $12 rk3188 for example, which would otherwise be perfect.
> >>
> >>  so i am inclined, especially because i anticipate USB3 SoCs coming
> >> along over the next 8-9 years, to replace SATA with USB2 and 2 other
> >> lines.  i think, joe, that one of them should be the "TTL high Power
> >> Line" for the voltage levels on GPIO (and UART).
> >>

> > Since we going for interoperability USB makes more sense indeed.
> USB1,2,3 is
> > somewhat backward compatible, interoperable and is seems the better
> choice.
>
>  yes.  read the EOMA68 spec.  the section on USB is based on exactly
> this premise... and explicitly bans SoCs such as some of the TI ones
> which implement 480mbit/sec high-speed *only* on the USB2.

Yeah that was a lame direction. Especially since USB2 certification demands
a USB1.0/1.1 compatiblity.

>  if such
> SoCs were to be used they would need to be firewalled behind a USB2
> Hub IC that could do the down-level (to USB1.1 and 1.0) protocol
> conversion.
>
> > Can we get away with a USB2 only on a USB3 connector?
>
>  of course.

That means that every USB3, slave, device must accept a USB1/2 link, from a
master, EOM68 card, even if a USB3 connector is present on the device
holding the EOMA68 card. USB3 requires 5 extra pins, IIRC.