[Arm-netbook] Improv And Operation:Marketing for EMOA-*

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Wed May 21 00:38:25 BST 2014

On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 1:22 AM, Wookey <wookey at wookware.org> wrote:
> +++ Aaron J. Seigo [2014-05-20 17:06 +0200]:
>> On Monday, May 19, 2014 16:40:17 Alexander Stephen Thomas Ross wrote:
>> > If there was late help from extra individuals marketing and promoting
>> > eoma-* standard devices like Improv and there were magically the number
>> > of pre-orders needed would it be possible to resume makeplaylive being a
>> > client?
>>
>> I would happily support this; as it is, orders are simply coming in far too
>> slow, and are virtually non-existent from the eoma fan-club.
>
> Hmm. I was expecting a plasma tablet announcment at some point, based
> on eoma-68, but apparently something has gone wrong and that's now not
> happenning?

 aaron kindly funded the prototype development, based on the
specifications that i gave him.  he agreed to those specifications but
it became clear later that he may not have thought through the
implications at the time, as time progressed and the bar was raised by
"competing" monolithic products.

 so by prototype 2 when we finally had something to do software
development on of the firmware, and i repeated the specification to
him, to cut a long story short in effect he changed his mind and
wanted a better specification.

 checking the news page, i have had the first revision prototype of
that new specification ready to be sent to a factory since 10 nov
2013.  i mentioned that it needs around $1500 for components and PCB
printing at the time.

> Is that right? I feel like I've missed some important
> information (although I did notice this list go very quiet).
>
> Is there going ot be a plasma tabet at some point? I have a use for one...
>
> In the meantime my playslive card is handy, but I'm somewhat stalled
> on mailine sunxi support, which is coming, slowly.
>
> I know these things are difficult - I was quite impressed that we got
> this far. On the other hand, having got this far it seemed likely that
> we would get further too...

 it basically needs money, that's all.  that's what it will take for
the projects to continue.  i've mentioned this a number of times, and
as i have not yet received any responses i am earning the money myself
so that i can continue.

 i tried it once: i cannot do full-time project management, software
development, component sourcing and hardware development *and* a
full-time job without serious health consequences so it is one or the
other.

 so it is very simple.  i will get this done; the question is whether
anyone else would like to help out financially to get it done.  if
they do, it will get done sooner.