[Arm-netbook] Improv And Operation:Marketing for EMOA-*

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Tue May 20 20:16:08 BST 2014

On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 6:59 PM, Boris Barbour <barbour at biologie.ens.fr> wrote:

> Apologies if this turns out to be a stupid suggestion.
>
> Calculations for prototypes have so far been based on runs of O(100) fully
> assembled boards. Would there be any possibility of paying for a handful of
> PCBs, a couple of sets of components (farnell, RS, digikey)

 yes of course (except some of them are only available from china, but
that's ok)

> and finding a
> volunteer with some equipment to assemble by hand (paste, oven, ...)?

 if they're prepared to do it, yes.  there are however quite a lot of
components, they're quite small, but it is doable.

> I'm no expert (it probably shows), but the board doesn't seem hyper dense in
> terms of components.

 it is, but there's nothing smaller than 0402.  the smallest drill
sizes are i think 7mil, but there are not many of those (they're for
the Micro-HDMI)

> Of course, there would be no econmoies of scale at all,
> but it might provide an affordable way of inching past the all-important
> debugging and validation stages.

 we achieved that 100% debugging and validation phase back in i think
it was october of last year.

 so we are talking about fully-tested, fully working hardware that is
ready to go into larger production runs for clients.