[Arm-netbook] Which Name/Project/Company Do I Use To Promote?

Jeremy Wykes jeremy.wykes at gmail.com
Wed Feb 19 07:31:08 GMT 2014

> > I'm working on a draft that I'll post soon~ish. I'm stuck on "Why".
> > why as in why why not how,what but why sort of why :) are you doing this?

I can offer this perspective as to why EOMA68 is attractive. To design a
device based on a modern full featured SoC/CPU that is capable of running a
desktop level OS requires designing a PCB with high speed signalling for
the RAM etc. This is a non-trivial task that is beyond most people without
specific engineering expertise, and expensive software tools. A modular CPU
card like EOMA68 has all the high speed stuff taken care of, and can be
dropped into a PCB with a PCMCIA socket that even an advanced hobbyist can
design, get manufactured and then populate by hand soldering. As far as I
know, there has not really been anything like this in the past.

Making custom or prototype devices with modern CPUs is now accessible to a
far wider range of individuals and companies than before, and those devices
will be upgradeable as more EOMA68 cards appear.