[Arm-netbook] Warning: yahoo users postings might be lost

Stefan Monnier monnier at iro.umontreal.ca
Mon Apr 14 20:35:39 BST 2014

> I mean, sure, it breaks lists.  But the lists were already broken, and yahoo
> is just saying "we want it done right."  It would be unfortunate if they lose
> people because of doing the right thing, technically.

It's only "the right thing" for point-to-point email.  No mailing-lists,
no email forwarding, etc...

> Is it so hard to change from to the address of the mailing list (which the
> email REALLY IS FROM, and set the reply-to: to the original author?  That
> sounds like the right thing, to me.

A very common use of a mailing-list is an an SMTP implementation of
a forum.  Last I checked, forums don't send messages, only their
members do.
So no, the message is really not coming from the mailing-list.

So yes, it's easy to do, but it's wrong.

        Stefan