[Arm-netbook] Home microserver based on ARM

Scott Sullivan scott at ss.org
Mon Sep 23 17:42:31 BST 2013

On 09/23/2013 12:05 PM, Arokux X wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> do you happen to know a home microserver based on ARM in a nice case?
> Something like this here [1] but less power hungry and fanless. There
> should be enough place to stick in 2-4 HDDs.
>
> Thanks
> Arokux
>
> [1]
> http://www8.hp.com/uk/en/products/proliant-servers/product-detail.html?oid=4248009#!tab=models

Qnap uses Kirkwood SoCs (ARMv5 arch) in some of their Home and SOHO
products. This is a well supported(*), although old chip. But from my
last look anything above 2 bays in that range was using Intel Atom
processors instead.

Your requirement for 2-4 HDDs will certainly mean there is a fan. At
that point the HDDs themselves are putting off too much heat.

(*) Kernel Mainline, Debian + Arch, Fedora dropped ARMv5tel support
after Fedora 18.

--
Scott Sullivan