[Arm-netbook] EOMA68-A20 now booting Linaro distro from uSD card

joem joem at martindale-electric.co.uk
Wed Sep 18 22:32:12 BST 2013

> The issue was that I was releasing binaries uSD cards
> because my way of doing things is that I believe tools are more
> important than recipes. It takes all sorts to make the world go around,
> and that is where I stand on the importance of binaries.
>

> Then gpl gets in the way and says, though my intentions are good,
> in describing how the binary was built, its not good enough,
> I (not some 3rd party) must supply the exact sources for all items in
> the binary and working tools.
>

> When I release the 2GB uSD Card binary bootable distro for eoma,
> I am obliged to supply the exact sources for each item that has a gpl
> license.

: ... or you are obliged to provide a pointer to where the sources can
:be obtained: that is sufficient.  you *don't* have to host them
:yourself... but you *do* have to ensure that you've provide the full
:set of links to sources, full set of links to all tools and scripts.
:a full set of instructions is also nice but not strictly necessary.
:however having those instructions is a good idea because it allows
:*you* to ensure that you have the full set of sources (or links to)
:right and the full set of tools (or links to tools) also correct.

Arokux, it seems we are being led in full 360 degree circles.

What you say is the exact thing I was saying a little while ago!!

To recap, I released a binary and left exact links and exact version numbers to recreate it
as well as exact details of tools and where to get it.
I don't host those myself.
This I believed was 100% ok and 100% satisfied the gpl.

Suddenly I'm being told, no it doesn't satisfy gpl requirement.
*I* must gather up all the sources and make it available at same cost
as the 2GB binary file.