[Arm-netbook] EOMA68-A20 now booting Linaro distro from uSD card

luke.leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Wed Sep 18 11:29:59 BST 2013

On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 11:09 AM, joem <joem at martindale-electric.co.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-09-17 at 20:27 +0200, Arokux X wrote:
>

>>         > As I understand it, Linaro guys are not compiling from
>>         scratch. They put an
>>         > image together using packages from the ARM-repos provided by
>>         Ubuntu.
>>

>>          the build-log file looks like a classic debootstrap.
>> lb stays for live-build.
>
> Thanks Arokux.
>
> Too much to take in in one gulp - may be days to chew over it.

 ... welcome to software libre development :)

> Any instructions on what I can do to cut the chase
> and get to sources for
> Linaro  http://releases.linaro.org/latest/ubuntu/raring-images/alip
> linaro-raring-alip-20130826-474 ?  :)

 there are no shortcuts.  you'll need to become familiar with how
gnu/linux distributions are built and maintained [by almost 1,000
people in the case of debian].

 there are some *alternatives* to the hybrid binary + dev-header +
dbg-sym-packages + source packages approach, such as freebsd, openbsd,
gentoo, openwrt, openembedded (and arch-linux?) all of which go
*completely* from source code.

 but in each and every single case *regardless* of that, you will
*still* need to take an *entire* snapshot of ABSOLUTELY everything,
and learn how to build it, and be prepared to keep copies of that
entire lot for the entire 10-20 years that you will be supporting your
customer.

there are no shortcuts.  so... *deep breath*... pick a gnu/linux
distro, and mirror the entire web site, and i recommend using a
"snapshot" filesystem to do it.