[Arm-netbook] One other thing -- emulation question...

Christopher Havel laserhawk64 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 23 22:06:31 BST 2013

On 10/23/2013 4:53 PM, Scott Sullivan wrote:
> On 10/23/2013 03:47 PM, Christopher Havel wrote:

>>> $ > ./fix-exclusive-for-inclusive
>>> good task for _anyone_ ambitious to learn to hack.
>>>
>> I'm not ambitious hardly at all, and I don't really like Debian that
>> much.
>
> You do yourself a disservice in that description. No one is ambitious
> in all things, but in the schematics you provided, your ambition
> showed through there.
>
>> Plus, I can't imagine that doing the emulation entirely in software is
>> beneficial performance-wise vs. what I'm suggesting. It's *easier* but I
>> don't think it's *better*. (I'm open minded tho. You're the experts, I'm
>> not.)
>
> Try, but that's the only way to do it unless the hardware was designed
> for it. So your suggestion about using the second core for the
> conversion is still a software solution, an ergo there is an existing
> code base for it with qemu (regardless of which distro you run it on).

There's a difference between knowing you can help and contributing, and
ambition, I think -- I neither need nor want to be a celebrity of any
kind. I like to help people, but it's for them not me.

As for the programming bit... I type
*./compile**
**make*
and gcc goes off and tries to build me a magic chocolate factory and
fails dramatically, usually pretty early on. IIRC I've had possibly one
example where I got it to work without any fatal errors... if that's
correct it was with a weird and very primitive nothingburger WM. It was
only available as source code, was very inflexible (changing any
parameter anywhere required changes to source and therefore a
recompile), and --most importantly for me-- didn't support a "start
menu" natively. I was initially attracted because it had an interesting
way of doing one very minor thing -- the close/minimize buttons were on
the side of the window rather than in the titlebar. Of course I can't
remember the name of the WM now... probably just as well.

I have some minimal experience with QBASIC, but that's as successful as
I've been. I made a minimal text adventure game that worked without
having a proper parser (trust me, you don't want to know how I did that)
and I do want to say that I got all the bugs out of it eventually, so
that it's actually playable through...

I know my strengths and programming isn't one of them. At least I know
it and admit it...