[Arm-netbook] One other thing -- emulation question...

Wookey wookey at wookware.org
Wed Oct 23 19:25:05 BST 2013

+++ Paul Sokolovsky [2013-10-23 19:58 +0300]:
> Hello,
>
> On Tue, 22 Oct 2013 13:41:49 -0400
> Christopher Havel <laserhawk64 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > One more idea that just popped up (I promise I won't spam the list
> > too much with this kind of junk).
> >
> > How much of a performance penalty/loss would be incurred by "pulling
> > a Transmeta" -- by which I mean emulating x86 hardware with, in this
> > case, ARM...? Say, convincing an A20 to emulate something like a P3
> > CPU?
>
> One thing you forgot to mention is why the heck someone would want to
> emulate x86? Where someone needs x86, they just use it, in all other
> areas, everyone is galloping away from x86 and uses raw performance of
> platform, without need to "emulate" anything. Anyway, QEMU emulates
> anything on anything, so what?

Quite. We have this functionality already and it's as simple as:
apt-get install qemu-system-x86

Not sure if debian has packaged the statically-linked version whch lets
you run random foreign binaries in chroots, but that's a small matter.

Wookey
http://wookware.org/