[Arm-netbook] Another chip to consider for a future EOMA product

Paul Sokolovsky pmiscml at gmail.com
Sun Oct 6 19:00:10 BST 2013

Hello,

On Fri, 4 Oct 2013 01:11:55 +0100
"luke.leighton" <luke.leighton at gmail.com> wrote:

[]

> Quark

> what's missing:

[long list]

>  to put this SoC into industrial or embedded purposes, you have to use
> expander ICs that cost more than the price of a single integrated CPU

Well, some people laugh at ARM vs Intel market cap, but Intel is rich
because it charges real money for their CPUs, and then charges again
for all that funky stuff which keeps PCBs big. Now if they go embedded,
they can't give you that all (even in "mini") right away - because
either it'll cost too much comparing to the competition, or they may
end up known as producers of the best CPUs for gamers with fine print of
"also chases ARM and MIPS on their native markets", because nobody
would buy mid-range stuff.

So, we'll see how it goes. The Quark thing is definitely a probe of
how much market will dislike it in the bare shape it is. The only
exciting thing about it is that Intel itself does that, because stuff
like http://bifferos.co.uk/ was there for ages.

[]

>  the "arduino-like" market falls into a similar category to industrial
> / embedded... except even the open community will think twice about
> buying it, because there's not enough multiplexing for them to use it
> for several possible scenarios.

My favorite of Galileo board is:

(http://www.intel.com/support/galileo/faq.htm)
-------
What is the maximum rate at which GPIO output pins can be updated?

The GPIO output pins on Intel® Galileo are provided by an I2C Port
Expander that is running at standard mode (100 kHz). Each I2C request
to update a GPIO requires approximately 2ms. In addition to software
overhead, this restricts the frequency achievable on the GPIO outputs
to approximately 230 Hz.
-------

You immediately can see they're embedded pros - they don't tell "200",
they tell "230". Come on, Intel, try harder, you can beat that ATtiny on
its territory!

--
Best regards,
 Paul                          mailto:pmiscml at gmail.com