[Arm-netbook] HDMI variant low profile ethernet socket

joem joem at martindale-electric.co.uk
Wed Nov 20 08:49:28 GMT 2013

> I Think were on different tracks. The HDMI 1.4 standard consist of a
> HDMI connector with 19 pins. 2 of those are reserved voor Etherne. It
> was invented to have a TV provide Ethernet to its connected
> perhipials. So one RJ45 in the TV and the PVR, STB, etc recieve
> Ethernet from the TV.

We might be on different tracks - the ethernet to HDMI would be
good for ethernet over short distances such as from device to TV or a
router in the same room. It would be quite bad for ethernet across
factory floor or crossing several rooms through a duct. The spacing
between the fingers on the connector is not up to it as far as I can
tell from looking at it. Hence arguing for a separate connector.

But then again, you might be more correct to use the standard.
It should be possible to have two connectors - one that just does
ethernet and one that does HDMI. So long as the HDMI devices are
compliant, nothing bad should happen if accidentally connecting
to wrong HDMI connector :)

Hey Aaron / Luke, did you catch all that?
Have two HDMI connectors - one with ethernet and one with HDMI signals!