[Arm-netbook] HDMI variant low profile ethernet socket

mike.valk at gmail.com mike.valk at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 21:19:52 GMT 2013

2013/11/19 joem <joem at martindale-electric.co.uk>

> > The HDMI 1.4 standard includes a few pins for Ethernet, max 100Mbps.
> > One could make a breakout cable. Splitting the Ethernet and HDMI
> > outside the tablet and no need to "invent" an extra connector nor
> > adding it to the eoma-68 carries or card-fronts
> >

> > Too bad those are not on the market yet.
>
> Too bad.
>
> Where I see a problem is trying to make HDMI and ethernet work
> at the same time. If someone connect an ethernet with HDMI cable
> to HDMI, then you would expect the HDMI to survive
> a miswire and/or a fault as a result of going through some ducting.
> So invariably you are going to end up with an overspec'd HDMI that
> handles ethernet which is likely an all round expensive standard to
> follow.

I Think were on different tracks. The HDMI 1.4 standard consist of a HDMI
connector with 19 pins. 2 of those are reserved voor Etherne. It was
invented to have a TV provide Ethernet to its connected perhipials. So one
RJ45 in the TV and the PVR, STB, etc recieve Ethernet from the TV.

So adding Ethernet to the HDMI is within specification. No alteration to
the connector or cables required.

My thought was to create an Y-cable. A Male HMDI to Ethernet RJ45 female
and HDMI female. The only strange thing is that only a single pair is used
in HDMI and 10 and 100BaseTX uses 2 pairs (4 wires)?

And if you only connect a HDMI cable noting happens. And if your TV/Monitor
provides Ethernet over HDMI. you have only one cable needed and no switch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

Mis wiring will botch up anything. Not doing it because someone may miswire
something is like forbidding riding bikes. You might hurt yourself. ;-)

> So I'm thinking kick out the HDMI from the mini-HDMI connector
> and just use 4 pairs for ethernet. May be some manufacturer could
> be persuaded to put in a key that prevents normal mini-HDMI connectors
> connecting to it.
>

> I was thinking put some mini screw holes on each side like RS232
> connectors to hold the connectors in place once connected and screwed
> down. The connector geometry could then be altered to prevent standard
> HDMI connecting to it because the connector is different to HDMI anyway
> and requires modified tooling. That would be good for server rooms, but
> cheap consumer items would probably not use screw down connectors.

There is an automotive HDMI connector available. And adapters are
available. Probably cheaper and easier accepted than an off-spec hdmi