[Arm-netbook] DIY Pocket Computer

Alexander Stephen Thomas Ross maillist_arm-netbook at aross.me
Fri May 24 19:18:44 BST 2013

On 23/05/13 15:18, Scott Sullivan wrote:
> On 05/23/2013 09:38 AM, Alexander Stephen Thomas Ross wrote:
>> I was thinking of my own one off. I don't have the skills to make a mass
>> production design.
>>
>> There is a colour e-ink screen that can do 30fps video.
>

> So, some of the pieces are difficult to impossible if not expensive to
> get in singles.
>
> What your suggesting is perfectly do able, but is likely a several
> thousand dollar project and involves a lot of different technical
> skills. Ordering parts more directly through digikey or mouser will
> certainly help keep costs down. Expect to break or blow-up components
> while learning.
hmm my budget is greatly lacking. I am currently just thinking about it.
I'm not going to commit to this project in the near future but I keeping
thinking about this project and wanted to look in it the details of
doing it. Don't know how I would fit in the time required but hay I'll
keep dreaming for now :).

> If you want to get to know some folks that do this for hobby or
> professional, I'd suggest finding your local hacker/maker space.
Hadn’t thought of that.

>> *hd webcam no mpeg-al -no h264, mpeg4, etc-
> ?
No built in encoder (Which it might well have if it's a usb webcam.) and
so no evil video formats.

> *several hour or all day battery life :P
>
> Oh boy... now your taking laptop battery and real heft.

mwahahaha
heft?

> *keyboard (could be a stand-a-lone mini wireless one from china that
> attaches to what would be a mini tablet thing) (can you get a mini
> wireless human input device that has a usb cabe connection option? save
> battery juice by not using wireless.)
>
> I absouletly love these. Have two at home, one at work (great in the
> data centre) and another gifted to by boyfriend for his media centre.
>
> http://www.logitech.com/en-ca/product/wireless-touch-keyboard-k400r

Not for this Pocket Computer. I'm trying to decide between:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-arrival-2-4GHz-Wireless-Keyboard-Mini-Fly-Air-Mouse-USB-2-0-Portable-Cute-Free/568882738.html

or
better for FPS gaming me thinks:
bluetooth:
http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Eboard-Air-Mouse-Mini-Keyboard-Smart-handheld-Wireless-Keyboard-for-HTPC-Smart-TV-Auto-PC-Smartphone-PAD-Black-314534.html#

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/-Clearance-2-4G-Air-Mouse-Mini-Keyboard-Smart-Handheld-Wireless-Keyboard-for-HTPC-Smart-TV-Auto-PC-Smartphone-PAD-Black-314884.html#

I apparently these *ghz ones interfere with wifi. Bluetooth range is 10M
though and I really would like 25m range of the *ghz ones. Any advice?
Bluetooth usb dongals don't have a full length antenna so apparently you
can boost the range by replacing the buit-in antenna with 3cm wire.
Would a modified usb bluetooth dongal be enough to get 20+M range? Or is
there a mod one would want to do to the mini wireless human input device
-as well?-?

> *30M fm transmitter
>
> Amazing how you can abuse I/O pins.
> http://www.icrobotics.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Turning_the_Raspberry_Pi_Into_an_FM_Transmitter

Cool. shame its not CD quality and the cpu doing other tasks causing
gaps in the audio which would be a pain. If these two snags are resolved
this would be fantastic. I guess stereo is not possible? Would this
cause interference problems? With, for example line-in/aux? I'm probably
asking/hoping for too much right?

> *RF radio? walkie-talkie
amateur radio, long distance voice communication. Not sure what's it
called. Could be used to send commands to other computers?

I would be after a multi touch screen.
Thanks for your input.

So what connect methods does one use? I am a newbie with anything other
the plug and play usb. So any reading/links or keywords that would help
me to understand would be most appreciated. Still looking at your links.

USB:
*6 (hehe wishful thinking i hope not :P) line-ins (6x1channel)
*bluetooth
*wifi 5ghz

USB?:
*hd webcam no built in mpeg-al encoder -no h264, mpeg4, etc-
*2 stereo line-out/headphones. 1 vir usb and the other vir the soc.
*butitin mic
*keyboard (could be a stand-a-lone mini wireless one from china that
attaches to what would be a mini tablet thing) (can you get a mini
wireless human input device that has a usb cabe connection option? save
battery juice by not using wireless.)
*nav(compass,gps or Europe satellite position system?, etc)

Other:
*LED light for webcam and/or inferred led(s)
*peazio sounder
*gpio or something arduino like or serial like?
*long range remote (garage door, 500M) -anti thief?
*vibrator -for alarms!-
*touch screen
*accelerometer? (Needs software? That can make use of it. gaming,
scrolling.)
*gyroscope (Needs software? That can make use of it. gaming, scrolling.)

?:
*RF radio? walkie-talkie
*speaker
*30M fm transmitter

*screen lcd, led ? Must be usable/piratical in full sunlight. Depends
the the screen used.
 From a bit of searching it looks like there isn't a colour e-ink screen
available. Next on the list is led based displays.