[Arm-netbook] A10 livesuit & debian linux /dev/mtd?

Troy Benjegerdes hozer at hozed.org
Wed May 1 23:09:51 BST 2013

(from the eoma boot thread..)

>  anything else, because i've now discovered livesuit works and have
> blown away the NAND flash already :)

I just got myself one of these:
http://bddgroupllc.com/A-Series_Boards.php

and I'm trying to find a way to get Debian on the NAND flash with
a real open-source /dev/mtd driver instead of this allwinner /dev/nand
nonsense.

My goal is to be able to make packages that follow the debian free
software guidelines so I can hit the FEL boot button, and run something
like 'a10bootstrap --board [wizard|eoma|cubie|mk802] wheezy [mirror]',
and blow away all the binary nonsense and leave 100% libre software on
the device NAND.

Has anyone else had success with an A10 device and /dev/mtd?

And to follow up on:
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.hardware.netbook.arm.sunxi/39

If allwinner thinks MTD is out of date and block/sunxi_nand is better,
then why the hell can't I find a flamewar on linux-kernel with a
discussion about the relative merits of MTD vs block/sunxi_nand?

Frankly, my impression is so far is that all the cell phone developers
(aka, android) wrote their applications and SDK's to work around the
limitations of block-layer 'emulation' on NAND, and nobody has taken
the time to actually understand what JFFS2/YAFFS+MTD actually provide.