[Arm-netbook] STM32F blinky lights

luke.leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 10:10:44 BST 2013

On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 9:17 AM, joem <joem at martindale-electric.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, 2013-06-12 at 22:31 +0100, luke.leighton wrote:
>> well amazing i am so happy to have managed to make an LED flash on the
>> little waveshare STM32F103RCT6.  it is such an achievement.  no,
>> really: a blinking light means a working compiler, working upload
>> mechanism over the serial port (stm32sprog), and picking the correct
>> GPIO location to make the flashy-blinkey thing go wiggle, wiggle.
>
> 100% correct thing to do and a big achievement
> if non-techies are reading this!!
>
> Interesting CPU.
>
> Care to share what is the IDE

 IDE?  IDE??? what do you take me for - a muppet?? :)  naah mate - the
only reason i can't bludgeon or nuke IDEs is because they're just
programs.

> and compiler,

 arm-none-eabi-gcc - i got it frooomm... errr....  ah!  here it is:
 https://pixhawk.ethz.ch/px4/dev/toolchain_installation_lin

> and programmer for this?

 stm32sprog - worked a treat, just needed to short boot0, apply power,
and run it:
    http://code.google.com/p/stm32sprog/

> And is there a Linux version?

 indeed there is - would i use anything else? :)

> I searched waveshare http://www.wvshare.com and could not find any
> pointers.

 naah they're going with the ST board support software.  it's all
pre-prepared as shite proprietary compiler project structure so i made
a beeline for libopencm3.

> So far, I got me LPC11xx series, LPC13xx, and LPC17xx NXP's cortex 0 and
> 3 series working with Code Red http://www.code-red-tech.com/ IDE
> which is derivative of Eclipse and the cheap LPCexpresso
> http://uk.farnell.com/nxp/om13012-598/eval-lpcxpresso-lpc11c2x/dp/2251821
> programmer (which is one half of the board that can be broken off).
> The compiler software is free up to code size of 128k and the
> lpcexpresso programmer is only about $20.

 why? :)  i used a USB-to-Serial port which was 8 quid and that's
quite a lot for a USB-to-serial port, and all the software is entirely
software (libre)

> If you remember, I already do a SoM board for 2 x LPC1764 chip
> http://uk.farnell.com/nxp/lpc1764fbd100/mcu-32bit-arm-cortex-m3-100lqfp/dp/1718546
> The chip is 100 pin and that means the SoM board has around 180 GPIO
> pins available for use. The KiCAD files are free:
> http://www.gplsquared.com/SoM1/SoM1.html
> And it is built and working.

 oo i do have to look at alternatives to the STM32F, but pricing needs
to be competitive (around $2.40)