[Arm-netbook] STM32F blinky lights

joem joem at martindale-electric.co.uk
Thu Jun 13 09:17:45 BST 2013

On Wed, 2013-06-12 at 22:31 +0100, luke.leighton wrote:
> well amazing i am so happy to have managed to make an LED flash on the
> little waveshare STM32F103RCT6.  it is such an achievement.  no,
> really: a blinking light means a working compiler, working upload
> mechanism over the serial port (stm32sprog), and picking the correct
> GPIO location to make the flashy-blinkey thing go wiggle, wiggle.

100% correct thing to do and a big achievement
if non-techies are reading this!!

Interesting CPU.

Care to share what is the IDE and compiler, and programmer for this?
And is there a Linux version?
I searched waveshare http://www.wvshare.com and could not find any
pointers.

So far, I got me LPC11xx series, LPC13xx, and LPC17xx NXP's cortex 0 and
3 series working with Code Red http://www.code-red-tech.com/ IDE
which is derivative of Eclipse and the cheap LPCexpresso
http://uk.farnell.com/nxp/om13012-598/eval-lpcxpresso-lpc11c2x/dp/2251821
programmer (which is one half of the board that can be broken off).
The compiler software is free up to code size of 128k and the
lpcexpresso programmer is only about $20.

If you remember, I already do a SoM board for 2 x LPC1764 chip
http://uk.farnell.com/nxp/lpc1764fbd100/mcu-32bit-arm-cortex-m3-100lqfp/dp/1718546
The chip is 100 pin and that means the SoM board has around 180 GPIO
pins available for use. The KiCAD files are free:
http://www.gplsquared.com/SoM1/SoM1.html
And it is built and working.

And that also reminds me to ask a favour from anyone listening.
The SoM2 boards are being readied for A10, but I want to use it first
like a normal embedded CPU with a single header file that
names registers and bit fields for all the hardware inside the A10.
If not, what would it take to get it built?
If developing products around A10, the last thing thats needed is
for engineers to go naming registers and bit fields differently.
There will be no way to knit the software together developed by
different engineers.

I notice this problem with Cortex M0 and Cortex M3.
Code Red calls its serial port UART0 in Cortex M0
while in M3 calls its USART0.
Simple mistake I thought at first preventing software developed
for one CPU from running on another, but the differences
are cataclysmic at all levels, and random, sporadic and idiotic.

Microchip's PICs don't have this problem.

I'd rather if ARM didn't have it as well.