[Arm-netbook] 4 GPL'd KiCAD boards released for A10 CPU system development

luke.leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Sun Jun 9 20:45:41 BST 2013

On Sun, Jun 9, 2013 at 7:49 PM, Ken Phillis Jr <kphillisjr at gmail.com> wrote:

> Element14 is not too bad on pricing for dealing with the United States...
> http://www.element14.com/

 element 14 does not handle individual delivery of sample-grade units.

> Similarly, Allied Electronics has relatively nice Shipping rates for
> dealing with the United states...
> http://www.alliedelec.com/

 if we have to use this company they will want to be paid for doing
so.  the units are in china; they will be picked up by personal
collection by our associate, hand-carried across the border and then
posted from HK one by one to each person.

 this has already been arranged and i see no reason to contact or
involve anyone else in the delivery of only 20 very early units.

 it turns out that i have a contact in farnell whom i will approach
later but only once we have FCC/CE approval which will cost between
$7k and $12k i.e. between 3 to 4 times more than the cost of this very
limited and very early and critical trial / test run.

 where the components for which are being placed on the PCB - over 250
of them - all by hand, on each and every one of the 30 boards.

 we're incredibly lucky that the cost of these hand-assembled boards
is as low as it is, and we went to some effort and some lengths to
find ways to reduce those costs, but the laser-drilling of the PCB on
a small scale production run, as well as the hand-assembly, has meant
that that's not been possible to do.

 luckily for 10k quantities the prices come back down to sane levels.