[Arm-netbook] EOMA68-A20 usb fel-boot and u-boot upload (no GPL-violating allwinner boot0 or boot1 involved)

luke.leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Tue Jun 4 14:25:04 BST 2013

On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 1:19 PM, Tom Cubie <mr.hipboi at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 9:00 PM, Neal Peacock <neal at nic-stix.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 05/31/2013 07:49 PM, luke.leighton wrote:
>>>
>>> http://hands.com/~lkcl/eoma/eoma68-a20-uboot.patch
>>> mess but it works.  A20 is more like SUN5I.  kernel doesn't boot yet,
>>> possibly due to watchdog timer issue, TBD tomorrow.
>>
>> Since everyone seems to be feeling argumentative today I figured I would
>> bring this up.
>>
>> Is there any evidence boot0/boot1 are GPL violating?  What GPL code that is
>> not owned by Allwinner do you think is included?
>
> No, the boot0/boot1 code is completely by allwinner themselves.

 that's not actually correct, tom.  we've been reviewing some quotes
leaked quotes source code (and also i had a copy from the A20 SDK),
plus also there are function names and comments which were still
present even in the binaries, and managed to identify that they were
GPL code.  the fact that GPL Copyright notices were still in some of
the files also helped :)

 this allowed us to point out to allwinner that they needed to comply
with the GPL, and precisely where, and amazingly they did, in a very
short amount of time.

 so i'm deeply impressed with them.