[Arm-netbook] Google Groups Re: EOMA68-A20 usb fel-boot and u-boot upload (no GPL-violating allwinner boot0 or boot1 involved)

Oliver Schinagl oliver+list at schinagl.nl
Mon Jun 3 13:02:05 BST 2013

On 03-06-13 13:40, Alejandro Mery wrote:
> On 03/06/13 13:31, Roman Mamedov wrote:
>> On Mon, 3 Jun 2013 12:17:55 +0100
>> "luke.leighton"
>> <luke.leighton at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 7:15 AM,
>>> mike.valk at gmail.com

>>>   no i haven't: they're running on non-free infrastructure and i am
>>> keeping to my principles of staying as much as i can away from
>>> non-free server infrastructure.  if they would like to move to
>>> free-software-hosted infrastructure there are dozens of people willing
>>> to help them to do that, and i will then be happy to subscribe to the
>>> linux-sunxi list and will send them patches etc.
>>
>> I agree it would awesome if linux-sunxi@ (and also cubieboard@ while
>> we're at
>> it) were migrated away from Google Groups, because telling people to
>> go post
>> message in a Google group is basically like telling them to go sign up
>> for a
>> Google account* -- which is something I would like to avoid suggesting to
>> people.
>
> you can subscribe sending an empty mail to
> <linux-sunxi+subscribe at googlegroups.com> without
> needing your mail address registered as a G account. (same applies for
> cubieboard@)
you can subscribe to google groups without gmane too:

linux-sunxi+subscribe at googlegroups.com

Luke, while I fully stand behind you on your principles, and support and
agree with you, I'm a little worried that this goes slightly to far?

It is a public mailing list, so what google does with the content,
doesn't matter. It can do the same as any mailing list.

Other then that, it just sending/receiving mail from google. I don't
believe you refuse to exchange e-mails with people using gmail or people
using Exchange as a server. What if mails get routed via those services?

While I agree that we should have started the list elsewhere initially,
nobody wanted us! I think the plan is to host our own ML in the future,
but we're not there yet.