[Arm-netbook] flying squirrel 7in tablet: 2nd PCB layout attempt

luke.leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 10:28:38 GMT 2013

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 3:54 AM, Ken Phillis Jr <kphillisjr at gmail.com> wrote:
> I can actually think of two main things that should probably be
> addressed with a tablet...
>

> 1) Will the tablet be able to charge to full power using a
> standardized USB Micro-B connector found on many smart phones ( and
> the raspberry pi )

 there will be *two* USB-OTG Micro AB connectors.  one can power the
CPU Card (independently), the other can be used to charge the battery
*and* also power the device whilst operational.  charging via the
USB-OTG whilst operating the screen and everything would be very very
slow, it would be better for it to be switched off and charged that
way.

 this is because we're using a 2nd AXP209, it's got all the
functionality built-in

 there will also be a 5V input (again, courtesy of the AXP209)

> 2) If that's not possible, will the device be explicitly tested to
> make sure that the device can handle being dropped on with the power
> connector in use from about 2.5 feet? I know that this is not exactly
> a common occurrence, but it is something that can actually pose a
> problem especially if the device is made unusable by said fault.

 i think anything that's dropped like that, esp. with connectors
plugged in, all bets are off.  we are however considering putting the
power plug and headphones onto a separate 25x25mm 2-layer PCB, for
ease of repair. it's not however something that would exactly count as
a warranty repair: you drop it and break it, you pay for it.  we can
however look at doing a much more expensive rugged tablet, later.