[Arm-netbook] Flashing the NAND

Siarhei Siamashka siarhei.siamashka at gmail.com
Tue Dec 10 23:23:01 GMT 2013

On Mon, 9 Dec 2013 11:51:31 +0100
Marco Martin <notmart at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 11:41 AM, Siarhei Siamashka <
> siarhei.siamashka at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 9 Dec 2013 09:13:04 +0000
> > joem <joem at martindale-electric.co.uk> wrote:
> > The linux-sunxi wiki has a link to the mailing list among
> > other information:
> >     http://linux-sunxi.org/Mailing_list
> >
> > For the OpenGL ES support in X11 on sunxi hardware, I have a project
> > page here, which happens to list some contact information and
> > describes the process of reporting issues:
> >     https://github.com/ssvb/xf86-video-fbturbo
> >

> Right now OpenGL ES is working fine for me, i have a couple of ideas for
> trying to cause the problem again.
> Today i won't be able, but in the next days I'll do some experiments to see
> If the problem can be caused/fixed at will.
> at that point it can be documented (or fixed if there is anything to fix
> and wasn't just wrong procedure at some point)

Thanks. I'm definitely interested to know what was causing. Just to be
sure that we can avoid it in the future. Also please report any other
problems or oddities if you encounter them (preferably to the
bugtracker, and not to this mailing list). Using irc is also fine for
quick questions, but my presence may be limited at the usual office
hours or in the middle night (European time).

It may seem that I have some prejudice against Mer, but have a look at
this relatively recent bugreport for example:
    https://github.com/ssvb/xf86-video-fbturbo/issues/25
Nothing can be ruled out and it is difficult to make any assumptions
about what could be possibly wrong in the user's system.

There is one more thing that may be relevant for you. The old r3p0
version of the mali blob can't fully utilize both pixel processors
of the Mali400 MP2. So the performance is not optimal on Allwinner A20.
It is possible to upgrade to a newer version r3p2-01rel2 of the blob to
get better performance, but I was not very sure about it without a good
justification (like somebody having a real use for OpenGL ES and
able/willing to report bugs):
    http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.hardware.netbook.arm.sunxi/4676
Also blobs are a temporary placeholder solution until we get free
open source drivers. Investing extra efforts into getting blobs
running may be counter productive at this moment.

--
Best regards,
Siarhei Siamashka