[Arm-netbook] How best to get touch working on EOMA?

joem joem at martindale-electric.co.uk
Tue Dec 10 08:48:00 GMT 2013

On Mon, 2013-12-09 at 10:02 -0700, N Shipp wrote:
> On 2013-12-09 08:43, joem wrote:
> > That is two projects needing doing - generic switch mode power supply
> > and generic touch to mouse converter.
>
> Why pretend it's a mouse? evdev (kernel & xf86) has multitouch
> absolute-positioned cursor-handling code built in which doesn't care if
> the device in question is a mouse, touchpad, touchscreen, etc.. As far
> as I know, the device just has to advertise its inputs right, and it
> should be picked up. That said, Meego's mtev driver has been more
> competent on the X11 side in my experience.
>
> What am I missing?

Pardon my ignorance, I am trying to get a resistive touch working.
The 5" 800x480 display works with EOMA and Cubieboard. On cubieboard,
there is a driver that works to read the resistive touch.
Looking at the raw data coming out of the driver, it is working.
But its seems more work needs to be done to tell X that that
it must somehow connect with this driver.

So here is me thinking why all this hassle?
I'd rather have a board that accepted a wide variety
of capacitive and resistive panels and as a simple
measure simply make it pretend its a mouse to get
systems working more quickly.

Muti-touch is different from a mouse, hence need for
a switch to switch between the two modes of operation.

(Probably, in the long run it won't be needed when software
and hardware catches up with all the touch options out there
for the big SoCs. There are
plenty of lesser systems out there that are not powerful enough
to process the signals and turn them into mouse like signals.
So there is long term benefit to having a generic
controller that turns resistive and capacitive input into mouse
signals.)