[Arm-netbook] Flashing the NAND

Siarhei Siamashka siarhei.siamashka at gmail.com
Mon Dec 9 07:28:13 GMT 2013

On Sun, 08 Dec 2013 02:34:12 +0100
"Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:

> On Saturday, December 7, 2013 03:19:50 Siarhei Siamashka wrote:
> > PS. I'm a little bit surprised that Aaron immediately assumed that
> > this weird behaviour is somehow the typical user experience, which
> > needs to be documented on the wiki. I also hope that the other
>
> Fair question.
>
> It turns out that this “weird behaviour” has been run into by several others
> previously.

I would have actually expected you to provide some link or other
clear reference to support this statement.

> There have even been workaround put into use, as you noted.

What kind of workaround do you mean?

> Now, where is that documented? It isn’t (unless you count google as
> documentation ;)

Wait a second. Are you sending me to google now?

What makes me unhappy is that you really show no restraint. The first
thing you do immediately after making an appearance is bashing your
upstream (the kernel and drivers you use are from linux-sunxi, right?):

    http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.hardware.netbook.arm/8451
    http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.hardware.netbook.arm/8459

You don't even bother to give us at least a few days to investigate
the issue and help to resolve your problem. The opengles issue has
been first reported here:

    http://irclog.whitequark.org/linux-sunxi/2013-12-05#5775192;

And now Marco Martin ("notmart" on irc) apparently made some
progress:

    http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.hardware.netbook.arm/8466

So is the opengles issue fully resolved now? I would like to know
the details and whether any help or other actions are still needed
from our side. Thanks.

I understand that you have been semi-secretly developing your
hardware for some time already and naturally might have had some
difficulties with using linux-sunxi kernel and related software
on it. But after finally going public, instantly venting out
your frustration and spitting in the well you are drinking from
does not look very civilized. I guess here is one more related
rant from you:

    https://plus.google.com/u/0/+AaronSeigo/posts/JDdvLDJESm5

So far I can see that it is you, who is having issues with poor
communication in the processes of your own little project, but
quite amusingly trying to blame this on someone else.

> and so when people run into issues they are left with very little to
> go on. How much better if that information was captured somewhere
> for easy discovery and follow up.
>
> > "numerous gotchas" are going to be properly reported to the
> > linux-sunxi developers.
>
> Not all are relevant to linux-sunxi, those that we run into that are we will
> definitely communicate them to you.

Nice. Thanks.

Still if at least some of the gotchas are relevant to linux-sunxi
(you are being a little bit ambiguous again), then your rant from
the other day should have included the links to your bugreports
right from the start. I expect no less from somebody who claims to
be advocating good software development practices.

And by the way, I don't represent the whole linux-sunix community
here (I'm only a minor contributor at best). So "communicate them to
you" does not sound right and "communicate them to linux-sunxi people"
is more appropriate.

--
Best regards,
Siarhei Siamashka