[Arm-netbook] Flashing the NAND

Olliver Schinagl oliver at linux-sunxi.org
Sat Dec 7 12:16:06 GMT 2013

> luke.leighton <luke.leighton <at> gmail.com> writes:

Hey list,

(attempt two, I don't think my client was setup properly the first time)

> replies brief, fell off bicycle, damaged shoulder.
Poor you, always having bad luck. I do hope you get well soon!

> On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 5:30 PM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo <at> kde.org> wrote:

> >>  not when i'm doing it.  i document everything as i'm going along,
> >> because i've done this a number of times.  it does however begin to
> >
> > I know you try to do this, but it isn’t producing results useful to others.
>
>  notes needed. info good. not enough collaboration.  too early.
>
> >> try my patience to have to follow up pretty much every single message
> >> to arm-netbooks with "could you please put that on the wiki”.
> >
> > That’s because the wiki is not useful. If it were, people would be using it.
>
>  no product.  beyond most people to be honest.  i'm motivated, but not
> paid.  others: no motivation, nor any pay.  result: no long-term
> contributions!  lots of people help along the way though.  really
> really grateful.
>
> > In part this is because there is no “the  wiki”: there is the wiki on
rhombus-
> > tech.net which starts with "Welcome to Rhombus Tech, a CIC company”,
there is
> > elinux.org which a wonderful maze of relevant and not-relevant
information and
> > there is the linux-sunxi.org wiki.
>
>  sunxi went off did their own thing.
I know you are a little bitter about this, but let me say clearly, I think
you are doing a great thing with EOMA86 and appreciate everything you have
done so far!

When I joined linux-sunxi (via the arm-netbook IRC channel) it was on a
follow up from the XBMC A10 thread. I was very interested in the A10 as it
could potentially be a Free (libre) mediacenter. I initially even got a
Pivos with AMLogic but sold that since in favor of the A10. My first A10
device was a tablet I gotten that had the A10 by chance, hence my looking
into the sunxi community. While true, at this point the split already
happened I feel that this only as evolution.

Linux-sunxi focuses only on the SoC, Rhombus/Eoma around the eoma
specifically. What will happen if EOMA uses an AMLogic for the next
iteration (or rockchip). The A10 would have been let to rot a little. Now
there's a community around it. Sunxi seems to focus mostly on the olimex and
cubietech boards these days (as they gave dev boards to devs) and whatever
tablet of the week pops by.

So while I've heard the splitting of the two communities didn't maybe go the
prettiest of ways, it's healthy that it did.

More cooperation is only good and on that note, I wonder if EOMA et al will
be at FOSDEM 2014?

Oliver