[Arm-netbook] Gmail, top posting, was: EOMA-68 hand-held games console in development

R.CG me at rcg.re
Tue Apr 30 12:49:21 BST 2013

> Replying from my SGP 4.2 with the "Respond inline".
> There's a block of text between tags:
>
> ******* begin text ******
[redacted]
> ******* end text *****
>
> Which I could easily cut out on any Pc but definitely not on my device.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but can't you long-press a word to enter
selection mode, move the start and end markers to the appropriate
locations, and then tap the backspace key to delete the selection? Or
alternatively cut it via the "cut" button?

Note that this is on Android 4, and I assume you SGP is running Android
2. My last device was running Android 2 and I don't remember the
selection mode being significantly different, but it would be nice if
someone can verify this.

> I am not sure if any other email clients would allow me so. I think this
is an intrinsic limitation of these devices.

> Have you noticed that inline responding messes up with line breaks and
arrows?

Just noticed that when I saw how my text looks in your reply. Sadly,
Gmail on the mobile doesn't seem to do line wrapping, so my text ends up
being more than 80 characters long.

Indeed, it does mess up with line length when sending from the mobile,
so I'll do a quick wrap fix on the PC before sending this off. No reason
for the incompetence of my email client to result in badly formatted
messages reaching the list :-)

By the way, I would think that the "no wrap on send" issue would be
present regardless of whether I'm responding inline or not - do you know
if that is the case?

> And what to do with this big unquoted block of text below? I will not be
able to remove it.

> The bad news is that this is going to happen by default on the PC too
with the so called new improved composing experience.

I'm sorry, I'm not sure which block of text you're referring to. I can
delete all parts of the original message (also in inline mode), both on
the mobile and on the desktop, including in the new composing mode.
Doesn't that work for you when you click the "show trimmed text" button,
the one that looks like three dots?

PS from the PC: if you end up editing your mobile drafts on the PC,
it'll probably be useful to remove text formatting from the draft at the
start. Seems the mobile client switches to "Rich mode"