[Arm-netbook] 15in EOMA-68 laptop

luke.leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 20:26:22 BST 2013

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 6:32 AM, Hrvoje Lasic <lasich at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think, if you refer to 15 inch hinges, they are tubular, at least in the
> middle (important) part.

 i meant tubular on the outside.

> here is render so you can see:
>
> http://www.sendspace.com/file/ipus8u

 that means that you now have to make a part that holds (and attaches)
that part inside it.

 i would like something that is *both*.  the hinge being its own
external casework in other words.  the exact internal mechanism of
that friction (or spring) hinge i'm not certain how they work (and
don't mind!).  what i'm keen to see is that those parts should
clearly, simply and easily attached to the two parts.

 remember that what we're *not* designing is a laptop where everything
has to be hidden because prying fingers might destroy it through
disassembly therefore it must comprise over 140 parts (google the
"bloom laptop") and take 5 professors and 30 students over 4 hours to
work out how to completely take apart.

 i'd like this to be designed as something that, going back to the
1970s, you receive a box of bits and some instructions and quite
literally make it yourself.

 i think you'll find that there aren't many mass-volume parts that fit
that kind of strategy.  there may however be some off-the-shelf door
hinges from ironmongers that better fit the requirements - i'm only
half kidding here!!!

> Anyway, if you made decision about LCD (at least we can picks some for
> start) I can draw you preliminary casing based on your sketches and this
> hinge.

 this one:

 http://www.revo-sys.com/prodimages/LCD-Display-Panel/TFT-LED-LCD-PANEL-MODULE-NOTEBOOK-LG-15.4-LP154WP4-TLA1-1440-900-330-NITS.pdf

> Also, there is keyboard and track pad parts to be solved for lower body

 yes.   keyboards that don't have built-in USB chip would be good (FPC
keyboard matrix pinouts).  the track pad however is a different
matter: built-in IC (preferably USB-based) or I2C.

 anyone know of anything like this?