[Arm-netbook] A31 EVB schematics and layout received from allwinner

Paul Sokolovsky pmiscml at gmail.com
Fri Apr 5 11:58:56 BST 2013

Hello,

On Fri, 5 Apr 2013 11:02:51 +0100
"luke.leighton" <luke.leighton at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 10:22 AM, Alexey Eromenko <al4321 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > But I see no Linux/X11 drivers for Allwinner products.
>
>  yes you probably won't.  allwinner do android, not linux / x11.

People should get over it - Android is Linux, just a typical
vendor-crippled distro of it. And X11 is ancient beast, and it's
well-known fact that soon it won't be in "Linux" either [*1]. Well,
that's old news, new news is that nowadays every vendor twists and twirl
display server matter in any way they like [*2]. So, no wonder that
Android, leader of "innovation" did that long before the others.

There're few projects which strive to bring Android the
prodigal son of vendor-shortsightedness back into service for community
benefit, like https://github.com/stskeeps/libhybris and
https://github.com/pfalcon/android-platform-headers , etc. So, people
should get over it and pay attention and start adopting this new stuff
(which is the same as old stuff, just "different"), in particular to
avoid vendor abuse like [*3], or in a couple of years there will be the
same cry, just "where're drivers for Wayland?".

[*1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayland_%28display_server_protocol%29
[*2] http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/03/05/canonical_mir_announcement/
[*3] http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTI4Mjk

--