[Arm-netbook] Mali X11 for normal people?

Roman Mamedov rm at romanrm.ru
Sun Sep 30 11:21:03 BST 2012

On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 12:27:34 +0400
"Dmitriy B." <rzk333 at gmail.com> wrote:

> First, read god damn manual installation, there is a word about where to
> find ump includes

Hello,

Yes I admit I only tried the automated installation at first. I saw a note
which says to "download the needed libraries" and "place them manually". It
was not clear which libraries were needed and where to place them. Turns out
this simply means that some of the Manual installation steps should be done.
Maybe it would be better to number all of those, and then refer to them as "you
still need to do points 1) 2) and 7) from the previous section", or something
like that. I understand this is a wiki, and I would gladly correct it, if I
knew exactly what and how to correct :)

> second, dont expect help about linux-sunxi here, this is arm-netbook, linux-sunxi now has its own mailing list because A10 stuff was
> overwhelming arm-netbook.

Interesting, I should subscribe to that.

> I'm sorry that I forgot about your request of binaries, here they are
> https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1096320/mali400-r3p0.tar, you need next_mali
> branch kernel to run this,
> https://github.com/amery/linux-allwinner/tree/wip/linux-sunxi-3.0/next_mali.
> Also, dont forget to delete mesa-egl
> (libegl1-mesa/libgles1-mesa/libgles2-mesa* *packages for Linaro) libraries
> from your system, they are usually
> in /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/mesa-egl/ for armhf multiarch systems,
> check ld.conf.d for sure.

Thanks a lot.

I also have managed to compile it yesterday after all, by just nuking
everything I had, and restarting this time strictly by the Manual process
(as they say trying to use automation only wastes time if it's automated not
how you expected :)

I do not have the next_mali kernel yet.

Two points were observed:

- the driver works (with DRI turned off), but is noticeably slower in 2D than
  fbdev;

- the driver does not support DPMS as I hoped. "xset dpms force off" just
  blanks the screen, not switches the VGA monitor to its power saving mode.
  This is despite the Xorg.log having lines like

[345340.105] (II) MALI(0): MaliHWSaveScreen: ENTER
[345340.105] (II) MALI(0): MaliHWSaveScreen: ENTER
[345340.105] (II) MALI(0): MaliHWDPMSSet: ENTER
[345349.000] (II) MALI(0): MaliHWSaveScreen: ENTER
[345349.000] (II) MALI(0): MaliHWDPMSSet: ENTER
[345351.326] (II) MALI(0): MaliHWSaveScreen: ENTER
[345352.170] (II) MALI(0): MaliHWSaveScreen: ENTER
[345352.170] (II) MALI(0): MaliHWDPMSSet: ENTER

I wonder if these will be fixed by installing the next_mali kernel.

--
With respect,
Roman

"Stallman had a printer,