[Arm-netbook] kickstarter... again.

luke.leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 09:31:16 BST 2012

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 12:17 AM, Angus Gratton <gus at projectgus.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 13:03:43 +0100
> "luke.leighton" <luke.leighton at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> right - i've kinda got the message, after receiving *another* person's
>> advice, "have you considered putting this on kickstarter?" to persist
>> in wearing the project reviewers objects down, one at a time.
>>
>> i've finally received a response, after persistently asking them seven
>> times, that appx 900 registered preorders, almost 100 people on IRC
>> and 350 people on the mailing list qualifies as an "engaged
>> community".
>>
>> however, the same message also said, in effect, "we do not consider
>> this project to be about empowering people to be creative and about
>> creative arts".
>>

> Hi Luke,
>
> As an alternative suggestion, have you considered indiegogo? I think
> they have more relaxed limits on what qualifies as a suitable campaign.

 yes, i did.  *thinks*.   ooo... this is a tough one.  kickstarter
seems to have a larger impact - things seem to go viral on it.

 mind you, the advice on rockethub is simple enough: make sure that
you get a *team* of people to promote the hell out of the project, all
the time, on the social networks.  the cynic in me understands why
this is needed: it's to overcome the sensory overload associated with
social networking.

 i know from experience that to have a committed team who are willing
to push the "retweet" and "like" button every day without fail is
absolutely essential, regardless of what funding platform is used.