[Arm-netbook] EOMA server standard

luke.leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 17:20:32 BST 2012

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 5:16 PM, Roman Mamedov <rm at romanrm.ru> wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Oct 2012 17:07:20 +0100
> "luke.leighton" <luke.leighton at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>  ok, let's say that you have a chassis with 2 ethernet ports and 2
>> SATA drives.  one is the boot drive, the other the data drive, and
>> it's for a router system.

>> [deletes swearwords....]

>>  and i would be blaming that stupid, stupid "EOMA server" standard for
>> having done something as damn stupid as to make it possible for me to
>> get confused over not reading the words on the box at the store, "only
>> has 1 ethernet and 1 SATA".
>
> There are CPU slots which support CPUs with as few as 1 and as much as 8
> cores. If your performance requirements demand 8 cores, you simply read what
> the specs for a particular CPU say, and then go and pick up the 8-core model.
> There was no reason for the motherboard makers to make slots which only take
> 8-core CPUs, just to make things somehow "easier" for you, so that you don't
> have to read the words on some box in a store that say how many cores a
> particular CPU has because all of them are mandatory 8 cores.

 ok, i'm not sure what you're saying, here, roman, unless it is that
yes, someone would read the writing on the box, "has 8 cores, is EOMA
server standard compliant" but beyond that would be unlikely to read
further about how many ports were on the connector.

 hmm, with the double-stacked idea that kinda also applies but then
again it's pretty damn obvious, "has it got 1 connector, 2 connectors
or 3 or 4?" so i'm less concerned about that.