[Arm-netbook] EOMA server standard

Roman Mamedov rm at romanrm.ru
Fri Oct 26 17:16:00 BST 2012

On Fri, 26 Oct 2012 17:07:20 +0100
"luke.leighton" <luke.leighton at gmail.com> wrote:

>  ok, let's say that you have a chassis with 2 ethernet ports and 2
> SATA drives.  one is the boot drive, the other the data drive, and
> it's for a router system.
>
>  card blows up: you rush out, buy another one, put it in and FUCK the
> FUCKING thing doesn't boot, what the hell's wrong with this thing??
>
>  turns out you bought a card that only has *one* SATA and *one*
> ethernet: it won't boot, and not only that, but when you swap the
> drives over in the chassis to find this out, fuck me if it doesn't
> route the damn traffic because there's no 2nd ethernet on the card.
>
>  i'm using swear-words because if i was in a data centre and i bought
> a replacement card and it didn't work as advertised and my job was on
> the line, i would *definitely* be swearing :)
>
>  and i would be blaming that stupid, stupid "EOMA server" standard for
> having done something as damn stupid as to make it possible for me to
> get confused over not reading the words on the box at the store, "only
> has 1 ethernet and 1 SATA".

There are CPU slots which support CPUs with as few as 1 and as much as 8
cores. If your performance requirements demand 8 cores, you simply read what
the specs for a particular CPU say, and then go and pick up the 8-core model.
There was no reason for the motherboard makers to make slots which only take
8-core CPUs, just to make things somehow "easier" for you, so that you don't
have to read the words on some box in a store that say how many cores a
particular CPU has because all of them are mandatory 8 cores.

--
With respect,
Roman

"Stallman had a printer,