[Arm-netbook] thoughts about EOMA68

luke.leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 14:53:44 BST 2012

On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 1:24 PM, Gordan Bobic <gordan at bobich.net> wrote:
> On 10/08/2012 01:07 PM, luke.leighton wrote:
>
>>> it shouldn't exclude GPU-less CPUs, e.g. Marvell Kirkwood.
>>
>>   it doesn't.
>>
>>   however, the market for GPU-less CPUs is a much much smaller one.
>> *however*, if someone can find - and/or fund - a way to get GPU-less
>> EOMA-68 cards out there, i'm all for it: it will get the ball rolling.
>
> Put out a 1U chassis for many EOMA modules, and they'll go like hot
> cakes without the GPU. Considering that with each of those chassies you
> might flog 20+ EOMA modules, you may find you've got a bigger market for
> those modules than for the desktoppy GPU-ified ones.

 i agree!  now.  the tricky bit: whom do we know that believes in this
enough, such that they would be willing to fund a) finishing the first
EOMA-68 CPU card b) the creation of the chassis?

 we have dozens of ideas (literally:
http://rhombus-tech.net/community_ideas/) - every one of them has
advantages over the existing status quo.

 the key here is finding even *one* person - or several - who believe
in this enough to say "yes.  this would save me so much money that i
believe in it enough to pay to have it actually made".

 that's the question that really really needs an answer to.