[Arm-netbook] irony: requirement for 100 A10 PCBs with GPIO-controlled power-up on USB 5V rail, or a Mini-PCIe socket

luke.leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 20:36:15 GMT 2012

On 11/28/12, Emilio López <turl at linux-sunxi.org> wrote:
> El 28/11/12 15:41, luke.leighton escribió:
>> hi folks,
>>
>> part of the reason why things are very busy for me at the moment is
>> because i've started a new job, and - irony - they need a small
>> low-cost unit, qty 100, with 3G (HSDPA) and WIFI (802.11bgn).
>>
>> but the requirements are *very* specific: the WIFI and 3G, which are
>> usually USB-powered, typically crash (for whatever reason) but they're
>> often 5V powered and you can't shut them down.
>>
>> so what they need to be able to do is to flick a couple of GPIO pins
>> and power off - completely - the USB bus 5V rail.  or, if the unit has
>> a Mini PCIe slot for 3G, they need to be able to pull down the 3.3v
>> and 1.5v power, and back up again.
>>
>> it's the basis of a reliable router box, basically.  oh - they also
>> need Ethernet.
>>
>> so - irony, as the timescales are short, i'm looking at the hackberry,
>> and yes tom the cubieboard: i need to find absolutely anything where
>> the USB can be completely powered down, *without* power-cycling.
>
> I'm pretty sure that's how the USB WiFi chip operates on A10 tablets,
> when you unload the module, the usb power for the device is disconnected.

 yep, you pretty much have to.  it's just not very common for standard
PCBs with the main USB ports, though.

 i checked the cubieboard schematics, they're the same arrangement as
the ones' i'm doing (but the kde_tablet board hasn't been laid out
yet, and i have to do the experiments with audio first etc. etc.)
which is that the USB power is controlled by a GPIO pin.

 so - tom!  what price can you do on qty 100 cubieboards, delivery to
the UK, and what lead time?  and do you know of a supplier who can do
qty 100 similar to the USBMA from hwtools.net?  or, maybe i recommend
they use standard 3G USB dongles, if the power can be managed, if it
crashes it can be reset (properly).

 anyone know of any other boards?  the hackberry i couldn't find schematics.