[Arm-netbook] Exynos 5250 vs Freescale i.MX 6: how do they compare?

peter green plugwash at p10link.net
Sun Nov 4 22:03:00 GMT 2012

Ottavio Caruso wrote:
> Is it fair to compare the Exynos 5250 with the Freescale i.MX 6 in
> terms of performance and features? Are we talking apples and oranges?

CPU:
the Exynos 5250 is using a newer and faster core design. It is also
clocked higher than any i.MX 6 board i've seen. My feeling is that it
will beat a dual core i.MX 6 (or a quad core i.MX 6 running a workload
that can only use two of the cores) by a huge margin and is likely to be
competitive even with i.MX quad core products running highly
multithreaded workloads.

RAM:
exynos products are shipping with 2GB. The i.MX 6 theoretically supports
that but all boards i've seen for sale* so-far have only had 1GB.

GPU:
I have no idea

> In other words is there any reason not to buy the new Samsung
> Chromebook and wait for a possible netbook (possibly from Genesi) with
> a dual or quad core i.MX 6?
IMO no

* Boundry theoretically offer a 2GB option but they haven't yet
responded to my queries for details on it.