[Arm-netbook] MeLe A10 Display Mode Support

Mark Wilczynski mark_wilczynski at hotmail.com
Sun May 13 18:44:40 BST 2012

> From: henrik at henriknordstrom.net
> My understanding is that the A10 is capable of
>
> - direct FB playback
> - playback in a movable 2D overlay region of the screen. There is a
> (limited) number of these 2D overlays available.
> - indirect playback via a 3D texture drawn into by the VPU and rendered
> by the GPU.
>
> In neither case you use the GPU for video decoding. At most YUV-RGB
> transformation.

Changed topic of this thread to better suit the discussion.
No matter how the video is decoded,it must still be presented synchronized tothe display clock driving the HDMI or VGA port.  If you look at the source andsettings available in Android, you will see they only offer a limited set oftimings:
Under:https://github.com/amery/linux-allwinner/blob/leak-lichee-3.0.8/drivers/video/sun4i/hdmi/drv_hdmi.c

You will see they are missing 23.976 and 59.940.  There are movies for example encoded in both23.976 and 24.000 fps so you must have a way to set both modes individually.
The reason I think a custom modeline might solve the problem is that looking into:
https://github.com/amery/linux-allwinner/blob/leak-lichee-3.0.8/drivers/video/sun4i/disp/de_bsp/de/disp_clk.c

You find a table that corresponds to the pre-defined output modes available in Android.  Hopefully the hardwaresupports timings that are not included in this table so we can manually define a proper 23.976 and 24.000 modefor example.  I have not seen where one can define the other video timing related parameters such as horizontaland vertical sync width, front/back porch, and pixel counts.