[Arm-netbook] Mele a10 hacking

lkcl luke luke.leighton at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 02:45:27 BST 2012

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 2:23 AM, Mike Thompson <mpthompson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm just joining this email list.  I have an Mele A1000 on order from a
> vendor on Alibaba which I hope won't take more than a month to deliver.  I'm
> eager to get a basic Debian install running on it.

 that'd be great.  it seems to be the "devkit of choice" right now,
that would make porting to the A10 EOMA68 CPU card a heck of a lot
easier when it's out.

> I've been working with a Freescale iMX53 Quick Start Board lately getting it
> in shape with Linux kernels, u-boot and the Debian armhf install going on
> it.  As big a company as Freescale is, I found their documentation, BSP and
> other resources for developers to be rather poor.  Even their IMX Community
> web site is a virtual ghost town.

 mmm, that's a real pity.  ... perhaps freescale might like to make an
EOMA68 CPU card out of their iMX53! :)

>  In any case, I'm hoping a group of eager
> enthusiasts can make the Mele A1000 a more pleasant platform to work with.
> I look forward to participating here once I get my hands on the hardware.

 *thumbs-up*

> BTW, one of my goals is to get a port going of Debian armhf tailored for the
> Raspberry Pi.  The standard Debian armhf port should work great on the Mele
> A1000 once the kernel issues are worked out, but this is not the case for
> the Raspberry Pi which needs everything recompiled for the ARMv6+VFP
> capabilities of it's CPU.  That's a pretty tall order and one that is still
> to be determined as being worthwhile.

 bear in mind: the CPU is booted by the GPU, which is proprietary.
why would _any_ debian developer want to aid and assist broadcom to
further its goals of keeping total absolute control over its hardware?

> I've been watching the Rhombus-Tech site for about a month now and I'm eager
> to see their efforts succeed as well.  Choice is always a great thing.

 thanks mike.