[Arm-netbook] Mele a10 hacking

Mike Thompson mpthompson at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 02:23:40 BST 2012

Hi folks,

I'm just joining this email list.  I have an Mele A1000 on order from a
vendor on Alibaba which I hope won't take more than a month to deliver.
I'm eager to get a basic Debian install running on it.

I've been working with a Freescale iMX53 Quick Start Board lately getting
it in shape with Linux kernels, u-boot and the Debian armhf install going
on it.  As big a company as Freescale is, I found their documentation, BSP
and other resources for developers to be rather poor.  Even their IMX
Community web site is a virtual ghost town.  In any case, I'm hoping a
group of eager enthusiasts can make the Mele A1000 a more pleasant platform
to work with.  I look forward to participating here once I get my hands on
the hardware.

BTW, one of my goals is to get a port going of Debian armhf tailored for
the Raspberry Pi.  The standard Debian armhf port should work great on the
Mele A1000 once the kernel issues are worked out, but this is not the case
for the Raspberry Pi which needs everything recompiled for the ARMv6+VFP
capabilities of it's CPU.  That's a pretty tall order and one that is still
to be determined as being worthwhile.  A lot depends on whether the RPi can
survive the launch snafus and live up to the hype around it.  Time will
tell.  Aside from the foundation goals, I think it has the potential to be
at least as successful as the Arduino in the DIY community -- which
wouldn't be too shabby at all.

I've been watching the Rhombus-Tech site for about a month now and I'm
eager to see their efforts succeed as well.  Choice is always a great thing.

Mike Thompson