[Arm-netbook] ARM SoC with OpenCL GPU : Exynos 4412 (was Re: SoC proposal)

lkcl luke luke.leighton at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 11:05:57 GMT 2012

2012/3/1 Guillaume Fortaine <guillaume.fortaine at devopspace.com>:
> Hello,
>

>> i've not mentioned this before, publicly, but some time last year when
>> this initiative was still being considered we were finding it so
>> ridiculously difficult to find cooperative CPU companies that we gave
>> serious consideration to putting a deal together to create a new
>> (entirely software-based) SoC that would be entirely FSF-Endorseable
>> as it would be entirely software-programmable.
>
> After having read many proposals on this mailing-list, I would greatly
> appreciate to make my recommendation, if possible, please. On my side,
> I would strongly advise to have a look at the Samsung Exynos 4412.

 hallo guillaume, thanks for this.  the issue is that FSF Endorsement,
the *entire* source code must be available.  so if OpenCL libraries
are available for the Exynos 4412, then the full source code of those
OpenCL libraries must be available, otherwise for FSF Endorsement
purposes you simply cannot use that library.

 fortunately, the limadriver project is reverse-engineering MALI 400MP
so yes, on that basis, we _can_ pursure Exynos 4412.

 i'll contact mr lee and see what happens.

 thanks guillaume.