[Arm-netbook] Ingenic’s JZ4770 MIPS processor

freebirds at fastmail.fm freebirds at fastmail.fm
Sun Jul 29 14:20:04 BST 2012

The first MIPS TV dongle will be shipping this week. iPPea TV has an
Ingenic's JZ4770 1.2 Ghz processor, 512 MB RAM, 2 GB storage and wifi.
iPPea costs $50 plus $15 shipping. Cheap enough to discard after my
abuser's cracker procures the MAC address of the wifi. I could replace
it and use the Motorolla lapdoc that raspberry pi and MK802 users are
using. Surprisingly, tablets with the same processor do not cost much
more.

However, iPPea advertises: "Updates over the air." See:
http://www.ippea.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/iPPea-TV-sepc-2012.jpg
http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2012/07/09/ippea-tv-android-4-0-dongle-for-hdmi-enabled-dtvs/
http://www.cnx-software.com/2012/07/10/ippea-tv-android-4-0-3-hdmi-stick-based-on-ingenic-jz4770-mips-sells-for-50-usd/
http://www.cnx-software.com/2011/12/06/99-usd-android-4-0-tablet-novo-7-powered-by-mips-processor/

So, what's wrong?

(1) iPPea advertises: "updates over the air." I have read concerns of
owners of ARM devices that automatic updates would completely delete
their custom hacked OS. Is there an option to disable automatic updates
on MIPS and ARM devices?

(2) Custom OS may never be available. iPPea's download has no download.
iPPea's forum has a Linux category but no threads.
http://forum.ippea.com/. MIPS is not as popular as ARM. I don't want to
purchase an iPPea or a MIPS tablet hoping that one day in the future, a
linux distro may be available for it. Lemote Yeeloong was released in
2008 preinstalled with a chinese version of Debian Lenny. There hasn't
been much written for it. I fear updating Debian, installing packages
and updating the packages will brick it. Another example, no Debian
download for VIA 8650 released at Openwm8650.org because of
difficulties.

(3) The VIA 8650 7 inch netbook I purchased this month from Amazon
arrived in an envelope, but not a box. No padding. Not surprisingly it
arrived with a cracked screen. Amazon is charging me shipping both ways
to return it. Though the screws in the back of the netbook are
removable, the wifi is not removable. Cheap enough to discard when
abuser's crackers procure MAC address. I am not exchanging the VIA 8650
and not purchasing an iPPea because they both are preinstalled with
Android. No new MIPS and ARM devices are preinstalled with Linux.
Android took the market share away from Linux.

I am sure you all know some reasons why Android is terrible. What I
didn't know prior to ordering my first Android device, the VIA 8650, is
that a text editor, a PDF view and other essential packages are not
preinstalled, logging into various android market with the android
device and reading the device ID is required for installation of apps,
whereas I assumed I could download the apps from any computer directly
onto a SD card without having to identify myself and device ID of my
android and Google's caching the history of the geolocation of all
Android cell phones, tablets and netbooks.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/04/22/google_android_privacy_concerns/

Google sued over procuring geolocation of android devices. See
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/04/28/google_sued_over_android_location_tracking/

Apple does the same. Likewise, Apple was sued.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/04/25/apple_sued_for_location_tracking/

Instructions on installing a firewall to preclude Google from
geolocation tracking is at
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/05/05/marlinspike_kills_android_tracking/

However, malware can tamper with software. I need open source hardware
and open source software.

No instructions on how to preclude Apple from geolocation tracking.
Furthermore, Apple does not offer option to disable wifi and bluetooth.

This means that Google and Apple keep a history of geolocation of their
users's activities including where they live, work, play, who they
visit, etc. and can sell this geolocation history to information
brokers.

In today's thread on Lemote, I cited three articles regarding Google,
Apple, Microsoft and Skyhook using their customers as spies to transmit
the MAC address of all near wifi devices (laptops, desktop computers,
tablets, netbooks and routers). See:

http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/143800-public-tracking-of-your-phone-tablet-by-mac-address

http://samy.pl/androidmap/

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31921_3-20074571-281/google-curbs-web-map-exposing-phone-locations/