[Arm-netbook] Geotooth

Derek LaHousse dlahouss at mtu.edu
Thu Jul 12 04:18:58 BST 2012

I followed the link.  I believe people would be interested in Geotooth,
and how it might be used to track an individual.

According to links posted by freebirds,
http://geotooth.com/Home/HowItWorks , the database of location is
maintained by a number of participants.  Many individuals would create a
driftnet, pointing out the devices they see, along with when and where.
This is not a targeted technique, but relies on a large number of
people/devices intent on violating privacy (in a legal but immoral
manner).

This strikes me as similar to other geo-ip projects, like Google's
database of wifi networks.  The hazard is that, rather than a stationary
Access Point (infrastructure), Geotooth seems to track clients.  I
personally find this detestable.  I believe others have said, "If you're
targeted, you have other concerns".  If the network of participants is
large enough, tracking someone only requires knowing their device MAC
and browsing a website, not being directly outside a home or active
pursuit.

I believe bluetooth doesn't turn on and transmit until after commanded
by the OS/drivers.  Desoldering unnecessary.  Can anyone speak to the
ease of modifying the bluetooth MAC?  Also, slave devices (headsets,
cars, etc) which make bluetooth on a laptop useful are much more
trackable.

Derek